Monday, January 7, 2008

A Left-Right Brainer

Who doesn't enjoy looking at photo albums? And who can resist an invitation to hunker down and watch a slide show of Uncle Seymour's latest junket? If a single picture is worth a thousand words, just imagine the value of countless pictures. The prospect boggles, and the brain stalls.

Therein lies the allure and vexation of Flickr: so many pictures, so many pictures! My goal was to find the picture that communicated more than words could express, yet I had to trust language to ford the visual stream. A bit bizarre, but oddly groovy, to feel the two brain hemispheres leaning on one another in a conceptual scavenger hunt.

I found my Flickr pic, an eloquent composition by rcrowley. It's entitled Map reading by bottle light, and for me it's a visual analogy for yearning, fortification, libraries and mediation. Check it out.


No comments: